Where am I?
Young Writer's ClubEach year Spring Hill Elementary School holds a writing contest that is open to all first and second grade students. This contest begins by students meeting and talking about the writing process, gathering ideas and starting their story. These students meet regularly to work on their stories as well as work on them at home. Early in the spring, 16 young authors are chosen to attend the Reading Reptile’s DNA Literature Festival at Rockhurst University. At the university, students have the opportunity to see two authors in 50-minute sessions.
The students are chosen based upon how well their stories were written and how creative they were. The selection committee looks for:
- Is the message clear?
- Did the student try hard to make the story interesting?
- How does the story begin?
- How does the story end?
- Were things told in order?
- Are there complete sentences?
- Has the student used good word choice?
- Is there a title?
- Did the student use periods and question marks?