Where am I?
When the Weather Outside Gets Frightful
November 14, 2012
With the possibility of wintery weather on the rise, it is important to know how to find out if district schools are closed for any reason, including inclement weather or another type of emergency. Here is a listing of communication methods used by the district:
• Email Alerts For Families – Using the district’s messaging system, an email will be sent to all families.
• Web Site – Visit www.usd230.org! Information will be posted immediately following the decision.
• Voicemail – You are welcome to call the district’s information line at 913.592.7272.
• Facebook & Twitter – Do you “Like” the district on Facebook? Also, feel free to follow @SHSchools on Twitter. School closing information will be posted on both.
• Local Television & Radio Stations - The Spring Hill School District is also part of an Emergency Information Network so notifications will be run on local radio and television stations…so tune in!
If a decision can be made the night before about closing school, an announcement will occur that evening. However, the decision will generally be made by 6 a.m. with the announcement following shortly on the communications methods listed above. In the case of early dismissal after school is already in session, district staff will work with parents as much as possible to assist in the safety of all students. Parents are advised to make prior plans with their children for such a situation. Parents have the option of choosing not to send their child to school if they believe travel is too hazardous; please contact our office if this is the case.
Please do not call the schools or Board of Education office main phone for closing information, as there may be emergency situations or weather conditions which prohibit school officials from reporting to buildings.